WE NEED YOU TO KEEP YOUR CHILDREN OUT OF SCHOOL TO KEEP THE PRESSURE UP!
The strike may go through all next week. Make your plans now on what to do with your children. And then think about HOW you can support other parents in this time.
If you have no other options (as a last resort ONLY for parents without job flexibility) and need somewhere to take your kid during the strike, please go to the picket line at your child’s school and ask there – about what solidarity schools have been set up for your school site.
The strike will end faster if we keep our kids OUT of school and do not call them in sick.
Here is what it looks like to run a solidarity school (SO EASY!):
Help your school community by supporting solidarity schools. You only need 2-5 volunteers to help run the sites and it will provide a safe space for parents that do not have childcare and want to support the strike. REC CENTERS ARE AVAILABLE TO USE – TO START YOUR OWN SOLIDARITY SCHOOL – IF YOU BRING YOUR OWN VOLUNTEERS.
– Call or stop by your local Parks and Rec center and tell them you want to use the site for a solidarity school you are starting.
– Send 2 to 5 parents in shifts to help play games, lead activities, read to kids, etc.
– Help order food for the site (Bread for Ed has funds or food they can drop off to you)
– Bring supplies for kids
– Recruit other parents to offer support (dance sessions, music, art, anything!)
– Strive for a “1 adult to 10 kids” ratio but remember our teachers do 1:25 everyday!
– Go to your child’s school or a nearby school in the morning on Monday and hand out flyers letting parents/teachers on the picket line know you have spots open for kids at your solidarity school at X rec center from 8am-3pm…so they can spread the word to others!
- KEEP YOUR CHILD OUT OF SCHOOL! This is the only way to make the strike successful and short. If possible: please keep your child at home, do a shared babysitting co-op, ask family to help watch them, or take time off of work to stay with your kids and bring them to the picket line!
- JOIN THE PICKET LINE at all schools!!
We need parents/community to join the teachers daily from 7:30 am – 10:30 am, and 2:30pm – 4pm in front of your child’s school. Bring a sign, a chant or even snacks!
- ATTEND THE MIDDAY RALLIES & UPCOMING EVENTS
- If you rely on school meals and will be keeping your kid out, you can PICK UP FOOD FOR YOUR CHILD. Visit “Bread for Ed” for more information.
- VOLUNTEER DURING THE STRIKE. Click this OEA form to volunteer.
- VISIT OUR RESOURCES PAGE for more information and links.
- VISIT OUR FAQ PAGE for answers to questions and concerns coming up for families.